We offer year-around internships to graduates seeking to gain hands-on experience in animal science.
Safe Haven Internship Program
Safe Haven’s internship program strives to provide recent graduates with the necessary hands-on experience needed to advance within the field of animal science as well as non-profit advocacy. We offer two internship tracks, including a six month, Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer program as well as an expedited three-month Summer program.
- Daily animal care of permanently housed animals
- Educational presentations to the public
- Assisting with habitat building
- Light office work
- Participation in annual fundraisers
- Marketing and public relations
Experience and Skills Required
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older
- Animal care applicants have at least two years of educational experience in the fields of biology, zoology, animal husbandry or environmental science. While marketing/public relations applications must have at least two years of education experience in the fields of journalism, marketing, communications or business.
- Must be fluent in English, both written and verbal
- Must provide their own health insurance
- Must have a valid driver’s license and their own vehicle
- Must obtain a tetanus vaccination prior to joining our internship program
- Must have a positive attitude, good work ethic, arrive to work on time and work late, if necessary
- Must be able to follow instructions as well as required policies and procedures
- Must be willing to work varied hours and in inclement weather
- Must be able to consistently lift 50 lbs.
- Must be comfortable on ladders
Compensation and Benefits
- A monthly stipend
- Housing on sanctuary property
- Amenities, including heat, A/C, utilities paid in full, fully stocked kitchen, bedding, washer/dryer, satellite TV, wireless internet and phone line
Please take note that Safe Haven’s internship program does not offer participants college credit. Instead, interns who successfully complete our program will receive a letter of recommendation as well as the hours needed to obtain a future staff position.
Become an Intern
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter and two letters of recommendation to our Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about our internship program prior to applying, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you for your interest in working with Safe Haven Wildlife Sanctuary. We hope to be in touch with you soon.